Just got back from C2E2 with my 6 year old daughter Grace. It was her first comic book convention and we had a great time together. Some highlights…
- The 12 and under costume contest. Grace had a few favorites but in the end, all the kids were declared winners. There was a really good Arietty costume from The Secret World of Arietty that we really liked.
- The sketch contest with Art and Franco. Grace didn’t know most of the references, but Art and Franco are always funny and they showed the kids a good time. I think she’ll want to go back again next year.
- I created a sketch monster. Once she got her first convention sketch (Krypto and Streaky from Art Baltazar) that’s all she wanted to do. We got two more from Katie Cook who’s table will be a regular stop on my convention schedule each year from now on.
- After a scheduling mishap on Friday, I managed to get my copy of Tale of Sand signed by Ramon Perez.
- After 10 years of trying, I finally got a sketch from George Perez. Time to find a new holy grail I suppose.
- The Nerdist panel was a lot more fun than I thought it would be and I’m a fan of the show. I even skipped the Silver Age Trivia challenge to see the end of it.
C2E2 is a great con and I look forward to going each year. I missed the West hall we were located in last year but I’ve read that they’ll be moving back next year for the foreseeable future. I was also a little disappointed in the Archaia booth this year. For the last two years, they’ve been selling everything as buy 1 get 1 free but this year they limited that deal to older titles only. While they are certainly within their rights to do that and I should really not expect to be offered that kind of deal, their hardcover only policy and pricing make buying some of their titles pretty risky for those of us unfamiliar with the talent involved. Saturday night was a bit of a let down as well. I couldn’t have made it anyway because of family obligations but 2 years ago they had Neil Gaiman and last year Patton Oswalt. This year, it was one of the guys from The League and his name wasn’t Nick Kroll.
Can’t wait to go again next year when Grace will probably have a costume to wear in the costume contest.